Saturday, March 11, 2017

Another Week to Show me that God is in Control; not me!

Yeppers, it was another busy week with lots of ups and downs, but once again, a week to show this slow learner that God is the One who is in control; not me!  I am so thankful for a community of supportive and encouraging teachers and staff as well as many family members and friends not even here in Pyeongtaek!  I would really value your prayers for these next two weeks right before Spring Break!  Each day is going to be very busy.

This past week was filled with many meetings and interviews for a possible HS Science teacher and Grade 5 teacher.  On Tuesday afternoon, Charlie Mooney, Tony Kuhn, and I met on Skype with a candidate for our HS Science position.  What a wonderful candidate he was, and still is!  All three of us were very impressed with this young man, Paul!  We made an offer to him on Wednesday and he wrote back with several questions.  I responded to him with our answers, particularly explaining why our salaries are lower than where he is and sharing opportunities he would have to gain additional missionary support.  Friday, he responded again to thank me for my detailed and thorough answers. He has still not decided and we continue to pray.  Paul began Spring Break at his school on Friday. He wrote to me and said that he is happy that he will be away from teaching at his school and will be able to visit his sister in Singapore during his Spring Break  He said it would give him some alone time for reflection and talking with the Lord about the position at ICS-P. I would love it if you could really be praying for Paul as he decides.  We would love him to accept our offer and come to join us.  We believe he would be a tremendous asset to our school community.  Pray that I will relax and just allow God to be in control.

On Thursday morning, we interviewed a young lady, Stella, who is currently teaching in the United Kingdom, for the Grade 5 teacher position.  We would like to pray about her and her fit with ICS-P. You can be praying for us as we seek His direction.  I missed a possibly good candidate for the Grade 5 position while I was at the ALC in Southaven.  I had written an email to her on February 17 and had never heard from her.  I was looking at my email to her and her application on Friday and realized that I had sent the email to an incorrect address. :-(  I was not happy.  So I immediately sent another email to the correct email address.  Saturday morning, I heard from this young lady.  She thanked me that I wrote to her and appreciated the information I sent, however, she had recently accepted a teaching position at an international school in Suwon about an hour north of Pyeongtaek. :-(  Again, I must realize that even when I make an error like this, God is in control.  It is hard though. So, we would really like your prayers as we continue to seek the Grade 5 teacher who God has for us.  If you have any names of people who would be qualified and interested, please send names and email addresses to me.  Thanks!

___________________________________

All day Wednesday I was involved in the regular meeting of the Directors from all the schools in the KAIAC (Korean-American Interscholastic Activities Conference) group.  I took the bus to Seoul to meet Ray Johnson, Director at YISS, to travel to the Dalton International School.  I learned once again that I am not in control. :-)  I took a taxi to the Pyeongtaek Bus Terminal to get a bus to Seoul.  I had my long winter coat on and as I got in the taxi, I placed my cell phone in the pocket of my overcoat.  When the taxi arrived at the Bus Terminal, I was adjusting my coat and briefcase in order to get my wallet in order to pay the driver.  The cell phone must have dropped out of my pocket.  I got out and about 10 minutes later realized I did not have my cell phone. :-(  I had about 10 minutes to catch my bus to Seoul.  I went back to where the taxi driver had dropped me off.  Of course, he was gone.  I checked on the ground for my phone; not there.  There were some other taxi drivers there and they could tell I was stressed.  One asked for my number so he could call my phone.  He tried several times, but no answer.  So I just stopped and gave it to the Lord and ran to catch my bus. My great friend, Tony Kuhn tried calling, no answer.  The administrative assistant at ICS-P tried calling and even tried calling the taxi companies and the police station.  The phone has not made an appearance.  One of the teachers at ICS-P brought me an old spare phone he and his wife had at home.  I have been using that.
___________________________________

Saturday, I went to Seoul to meet my wonderful friend and former SYME student, Yeongmin Baek. He is a manager at SK Telecom, my cell phone service provider, and he has been helping me ever since I lost the phone.  He canceled my account with SK Telecom and helped me get a new phone. Yeongmin took me to an SK Telecom store where he knew the owner.  Yeongmin is a Manager in Public Relations for SK Telecom presently and having him take me to purchase the phone was so helpful.  He helped me purchase a Galaxy 6 Edge phone.  At least that is what I think he called it! :-) I was able to keep my same number and all of my contacts were able to be restored, BUT only their email addresses.  Now I need to begin collecting phone numbers for all of my Korean friends and the teachers and staff I know at YISS as well as at ICS-P.  It will all work out.  The cost is actually less than what I have been paying each month for my former phone, which is of lesser quality.

After we finished with the transactions at the SK Phone store, Yeongmin took me to a Korean Porridge restaurant where we enjoyed some very delicious Korean porridge!  After enjoying a great meal, excellent fellowship, and more assistance with my new phone, We headed to the subway for the trips to our individual apartments.  I had about a 2-hour journey on the subway to Pyeongtaek, but it was a profitable one as I played with my new phone and got acquainted with it.  Thanks for praying!


Here I am with my new cell phone!!!


Yeongmin and GGG preparing to enjoy some delicious Korean Porridge as well as some excellent fellowship and more assistance with my new phone.


     This is my Korean Tuna Porridge!  Sooo good!!!


Yeongmin enjoyed the Octopus & Squid Korean Porridge!


Here we are on the subway after the phone transaction and enjoyable dinner heading to our individual homes.
_______________________________________

*  A quick update on Cora the Conqueror!  The Mooneys were delighted to have Cora back in their home.  She is eating more now and starting to gain weight.  The doctors had found two holes in Cora's heart ( they had only informed the Mooneys of one of them until Friday).  The good news is that the one hole has been restored and the other one is getting smaller.  Keep praying as this next week the hospital will be getting results from about three tests and may need to see Cora again.  The highlight for me was a visit from Cora and her mother to ICS-P on Thursday.  Cora had been to the school once or twice before for quick visits and I had never gotten a photo with her.  On Thursday, I was able to get a photo with the little lady.  She was sleeping so I did not get to hold her.  Here are a couple pictures with Cora and me.  There is one that Charlie took at home and posted on Friday.  She is so cute!  Thanks for continuing to pray!


GGG and Cora the Conqueror in my office on Thursday!


I wanted to hold her, but she was sleeping, but she started giving this look when I kept bothering her...I think. :-)


I love this most recent picture that Charlie and April have shared of Cora!
______________________________________________

*  Other great news on Thursday! After the elementary Chapel on Thursday morning, students returned to their classes.  The Grade 2 teacher, Ms. Dather, sent out an email later in the day that one of her cherubs, Saydee, was so interested in Chapel that when she came back to the classroom, she wanted to know how he could have Jesus in her heart and life!  Angels in heaven had a party on Thursday with the great news of Saydee accepting Christ!  Please also pray for Tyler, also a student in Grade 2, who is very interested in learning more about Jesus and becoming a believer!

___________________________________________

I had a special reunion on Friday evening!  Way back in 2008, I had my first Korean meal when I came to Korea at a tiny restaurant in Seojeong-ri, a small village beside Songtan where SYME was located.  Mike Nicholes took some of us from SYME to this tiny "hole-in-the-wall" Budae-jjigae restaurant.  I fell in love with Budae-jjigae!  It is so yummy and just the right spice level for me.  I continued going to this little restaurant a lot and became a regular customer and got to know the owner, a dear little lady who would always smile when I came in to eat her Budae-jjigae.  In fact, many of the SYME students called her "Mr. Gregg's Budae-jjigae girlfriend." :-)  I had not been back to her restaurant since the Spring of 2010.  

Tony and Sue Kuhn invited me to go with them on Friday evening to this delightful little restaurant which has been remodeled and looks very nice!  When we came in, she looked at me but I don't think recognized me at first because of my beard.  Eventually, she remembered who I was.  The Kuhns and I enjoyed some very delicious Budae-jjigae and lots of fun and laughter.  I was able to even get a photo with the owner - although she hates getting her picture taken.  One of the Korean diners near us captured a good shot of us when I went behind the counter to get a picture with her.  It was such a fun night!  I will be back!


Sue and Tony Kuhn with GGG at the Budae-jjigae restaurant preparing to enjoy this very yummy taste treat!


This is what it looks like just as soon as it is brought to your table
                                                to cook!


Here is the picture of Mr. Gregg and his "Budae-jjigae girlfriend," which was captured by the Korean diner I asked to take it when I went behind the counter.


Ready-to-eat Budae-jjigae!!  Oh, sooo delicious!!              
_________________________________________________

I need to top for this week.  I just want to thank you once again for taking some time to read the updates. Thank you for your continued love, care, encouragement, emails, mail, prayers, and support. I hope that your week will be a great one.  Enjoy!

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment