Saturday, December 9, 2017

A Fantastic Week of Friends, Fellowship, and Food! :-)

It was a busy first full week of December here in Pyeongtaek!  It was broken up on Wednesday with a Snow Day!  (In Pennsylvania, it would not have even been a delayed start; but in Korea the school buses usually don't run when there is a little snow!)  We had a few of our teachers who were struggling with colds, stomach bugs, etc. this past week.  So glad that we were able to interview a possible substitute teacher on Monday.  She has already been used to help us out a lot this past week since we have lost two subs recently because of their souses being reassigned to other Army Bases.

On Wednesday, our Snow Day, I went into the ICS-P office to do some work plus my dear friend from SYME days, JiSang, called to say that he was able to restore 99% of the data I had recently lost on my personal computer!  There were some very important documents on that computer as well as MANY photos from almost 10 years of my life in South Korea!  I don't know how he did it, but God used him to do it.  I know he took many extra hours to do it and I don't really know how to thank him the way I really want to.  He came to the school on Wednesday and went through everything with me.  I have this really awesome device that I can now keep A LOT of data on and not worry about losing it again!! JiSang is just simply wonderful!  We went for a Celebration Lunch and continued to have some great discussions and fellowship.  I hope you will continue to pray for this delightful young man as he seeks to serve the Lord.  I am so grateful that he is one of my "adopted sons!"


Jisang and GGG enjoying their delicious brunches at JJ's Diner on Wednesday!


        JiSang enjoyed the All American Breakfast!


GGG enjoyed a tasty breakfast with Sirloin Steak, eggs,
and hash browns + Wheat Toast!               


Two appetizers: Onion Rings & Chicken
                            Wings.


A sign on the wall I had not noticed   
before at JJ's Diner!  :-)         
___________________________________________________

Thursday and Friday were busy days as students were preparing for final exams as well as finishing their Christmas Door Decorations (photos to come next week).  Our CFO, Mylene Haselman, is tremendous at organizing special events and preparing the yummy food as well as decorating for a special event!  Our Member Care Committee was also busy planning along with Mylene and the kitchen and office staff our ICS-Pyeongtaek Annual Christmas Staff Party, which took place on Saturday evening, December 9th!  What a tremendous event! This year, in addition to our teachers and staff and their children, we had four pastors, their wives, and children in attendance.  We had the most children ever from what I heard.  34 children present!  It was a very special evening of enjoying awesome friends, fellowship, and food!  I learned a new game to use to exchange gifts!  One of the highlights for me was reading a book entitled The Story of Baby Jesus to all of the kids - young and old!


Sock Exchange gifts on the left,  Teachers' door prize gifts and children gifts on the right and under the tree!


        Some of the staff preparing to enjoy the Christmas feast!


Some of the yummy food that had been
prepared for the evening!         


        Roast Turkey and Roast Beef!


My first plate of delightful taste treats!!                    


The Dessert table!!  Oh dear, I should have stayed away from those yummy cream-filled treats in the center!! :-)


Mr. Song enjoying Cora, the Conqueror!


First Grade teacher, Ms. Hunter in her Christmas Costume! :-)


GGG and Ms. Hunter!            


Seven participants in the Christmas Costume Contest!  Such fun and creativity! 


Santa Richards and his Member Care helper, Laura Edwards distributing the children's gifts!


I loved reading The Story of Baby Jesus to all of the 34 kids!!
____________________________________________________

On Saturday morning, I was going to go to a different coffee shop, but for some reason, I decided to go to Starbucks and go at a later time than usual to do some writing.  God wanted me at Starbucks on Saturday!  I was in the middle of drinking some coffee and typing on my renewed computer and I saw a young man come in and sit down after ordering his coffee.  After a couple minutes, I decided to ask one of my normal questions when I see someone who looks American in this area near the US Army Base at Camp Humphreys.  I asked, "Do you serve in the US Military?"  He responded with a "Yes" and I then said, "Thank you for your service, sir."  He thanked me and asked me what I did.  I told him I was at ICS-Pyeongtaek.  He immediately said, "No, thank you for your service.  Teachers make so much difference in the world today."  When he found out that I was the Director of the school, he was beaming and asked if he could come over to my table and chat. 

I discovered that this young man (we later introduced ourselves and I found out his name is Matthew Moore) will return to the USA in early January and he wants to become a teacher!  We talked and talked for almost 2 hours.  We both discovered that we are believers in Jesus Christ.  He is a recent believer and is so excited about finding a mentor especially as he returns to the States and seeks a good college to study education.  Please pray for this wonderful young man as he seeks to follow the Lord.  He asked me if I would be his mentor and accountability person even after he leaves Korea.  I told him I would be honored and delighted.  Matthew has already texted me and we are planning to meet this coming Saturday for lunch.  I had told him I was leaving on Sunday, December 17 for Pennsylvania to enjoy a Christmas in the States.  Pray for Matthew and me as we meet this Saturday and continue to be in touch with each other.  I am so excited to see how God is going to use him!


GGG with my new friend, Matthew Moore, at Starbucks on Saturday!
_______________________________________________________

OK, that's it for this week.  This coming week is going to be full of dinners almost every evening with dear friends at ICS-P and Dae Kwang Church + a Skype visit with my wonderful friend David Baek, also a former SYME student; now serving full time on Jeju Island for Word of Life!  Thank you so much for your prayers this week - especially for our students in MS and HS as they take their final exams.

As always, thank you for your faithful love, care, encouragement, mail, prayers, and gifts of support.  Please enjoy a fantastic week!

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment