Saturday, October 18, 2014

A FunFestful Friday Ending to Quarter One!!!

Yeppers, Friday was the final day of Quarter One already!  The day was highlighted by many of our elementary students and staff coming to school dressed in outfits related to the PTO's FunFest theme for this year: "Blast Off to the Future!" We also enjoyed a time of sorting over 423 kg of 100 Won coins during the OASIS Assembly, and then the actual FunFest event which brought out around 2,000 guests to enjoy fun, food, and fellowship for the entire family!  Friday was a long and exhausting day, but a "good" exhaustion!  The old man was still tired with many muscles aching after helping to take down and stack over 30 tables and many more chairs following the close of FunFest! My days of setting up and taking down numerous tables and chairs at Camp Joy-El keep paying off! :-)

Last Sunday was a special weekend event in Itaewon.  It was the annual Itaewon Global Village International Festival.  This year the part of the main street in Itaewon was shut down and the street was packed with people. The gorgeous weekend weather brought out MANY people to enjoy the fun, food, festivities, etc.  I was able to enjoy a bit of the fun on Sunday afternoon, but it was so packed that I didn't stay too long. :-)

The many people in the main street of Itaewon for the
  Festival.  This was only a small part of the crowd!

I stopped at the booth for The Philippines and decided to purchase some yummy coconut juice!

Here I am enjoying some very tasty coconut juice!!  
__________________________________________________________

All week teachers were busy preparing Report Comments and Grades for Quarter One.  Several meetings were held to get teachers ready for the Parent-Teacher Conferences that will happen on Friday, October 24.  In addition, many teachers were helping the PTO prepare for a major annual event, FunFest 2014!  It is a massive undertaking and always enjoyed by many.  It does take a lot of work before, during, and after.

One of the fun things leading up to the actual FunFest was a dress down day on Friday where students and teachers were encouraged to dress in an outfit that matched the PTO's theme for this year's FunFest - "Blast Off to the Future!"  Many students and teachers came dressed accordingly on Friday!  Such fun!  Enjoy some of the pictures.

Two Kinder boys in their "Blast Off" outfits!

Another Kinder cherub in a space suit!

Two third grade teachers, Ms. Corbett and Ms. Everett
made these robot costumes to the delight of students!   

Our Elementary Librarian, Ms. Henspeter, with a sister and brother combo - all homemade outfits!

            KA teacher, Ms. Regnier, with two astronauts!!

One of my fifth grade buddies, Johnny, in his homemade outfit!

A Star Wars cherub preparing to zap me! 

This is one special young man!  His name is Ronan. He is in Grades 3B.  Friday was his last day at YISS.  He needs to move to another location. :-(  He wore this astronaut suit on his last day!  He is a tremendous example of our Guardian Honor Code!  Ronan is going to be missed!

I am not sure who this delightful alien is!
           But she was having fun!
______________________________________________________

On Friday during the OASIS Assembly, Mrs. Franck, our Elementary Chaplain, had students in Grades 1 through 5 sorting over 423 kg of coins that had been delivered in socks by students last Friday for our Walk-A-Sock-A-Thon.  The kids loved being able to be the ones to assist our local bank in sorting through so many coins.  Their mission was to take out any coins that were not 100 Won coins.  The bank's coin counting machine gets clogged if their our coins other than 100 Won coins in the massive amount we send over to them.  We all had a fun time sorting.  Hopefully in a week or two we will be able to have a complete report on the actual amount of money the students brought in for our Walk this year.

  Mrs. Roll, Elementary Assistant Principal, assisting
     some of the students as they begin to sort coins!

More students having fun sorting 100 Won coins!!    
__________________________________________________________

Friday evening at 4:30 was the start of the FunFest!  We had beautiful weather for this annual event and many parents, students, and visitors came out to enjoy the festivities!  Some of our school music groups provided live music!  Many vendors from our local community set up tents to provide yummy food.  There were also groups of parents who got together to sell food that is distinctive to their home culture.  Many of the middle school and high school clubs set up game booths and refreshment booths to raise money for various causes!  There were different games and fun activities for students of all ages!  Many of the elementary school and middle school teachers offered prizes that were included in the Teacher Raffles.  The kids LOVE these and purchase tickets to enter the raffles!  Many of our teachers also volunteered for a half hour or an hour at one of the MANY stations that needed an adult helping.  Such a great time!  Enjoy some of the pictures from Friday evening's FunFest!

My buddy, Oliver, with his Mom on his right!  I love this little guy!
He always makes me smile!  He loves when I bark and make funny
                                                noises! :-)

What a nice surprise!  I was greeted almost immediately as I entered the FunFest entrance by a student from last year's Grade 5 who had to go to another school for his special needs.  It was soooo wonderful to see my buddy, Heemin!

Here I am assisting at the PTO booth selling tickets for
the FunFest.  I am teasing my friend in MS, Ankit!   

This is my good friend ever since Grade 2! Ian is now in Middle School but always comes to find me!

This is my very yummy Kimchi Pancake!  Oh, so good!!

Evening has arrived and many families are enjoying the tasty food in the Courtyard!

Many kids found the games and activities on the Soccer Field!    

And MANY of the kids found the Teacher Raffle bags on the Soccer Field, too.  So many want to win these special items that teachers have offered for the winner of the raffle!
_____________________________________________________

Saturday was the first Saturday in a long time that I wasn't really busy with a wedding or something at YISS.  It was another beautiful Autumn day.  In the morning I went to Starbucks to work on this post and to catch up on some emails.  Then I went to Tartine's for my favorite French Toast and Sage Sausage breakfast.  After enjoying the late breakfast while reading a new book Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend - which I am enjoying very much - I walked to Mr. Lee's Frame Shop to pick up my two new paintings by Rob Joseph!  They are now in my office at YISS waiting to be placed on the wall!  The pictures below don't do them justice, but they are the best at the moment.  Rob Joseph was a student at Mercer Christian Academy when I was there as Headmaster.  God has gifted him in the area of art and these are two of my favorites: Sunrise on the Water and Judah.

                       Sunrise on the Water by Rob Joseph!

Judah by Rob Joseph!!                                  
_________________________________________________________

On my way to Mr. Lee's Frame Shop I was stopped by two Korean university students. This is a normal happening for me on Saturdays.  And once again, when I asked them why they stopped me for the interview, the response was, "You looked so kind and very handsome."  I am convinced that Korean university students have impaired vision! :-)  The young man who interviewed me guessed my age at 45!  I hugged him and told him I loved him! :-)  When I told him that I am 65, he would not believe it.  He said, "My Dad is 61 and he looks much older than you, and he is not as lively either." :-)  We had a nice interview and I went on my way to Mr. Lee's.

Here I am in Itaewon with my Korean university student interviewer!
____________________________________________________________

After getting a haircut, I went searching for a new coffee shop some of the teachers told me about.  It is called "Sweet East" and it has what Starbucks in Korea does NOT have: Pumpkin Spice Latte!  I found it after searching the back narrow streets!  I also discovered they have yummy cheese cake.  I almost forgot to get a picture of it.  Here it is!

My yummy cheese cake (what's left of it) at "Sweet East" in Itaewon!  I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte, too!! :-)
________________________________________________________________
As always, thank you very much for continuing to pray for me, love me, encourage me, and support me.  You are very special to me.  I would value your prayers this next week as we have online registration on Tuesday and Wednesday for Quarter Two After School Activities - always a very hectic time!

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment