Saturday, December 20, 2014

First Semester Festive FInish!!

Yes, it was a festive finish to the first semester at YISS! Festive: joyous, merry; from the Latin festivus - joyful!  Yeppers, more JOY!  :-)  Such a busy week and I know that teachers, students, and staff were full of joy when Friday 12 Noon arrived!  Many of our staff will be traveling to various destinations to rest, refresh, and relax with family and friends for Christmas!  I know they would value your prayers.  I will be staying near Seoul this Christmas.  I hope to take s few day trips around Korea and also do some preparation for Quarter Three After School Activities - when I have some quiet time to focus on the technology part of this program.  I actually find it JOYful these days as I learn more and more about technology.

I believe I will take a day at a time to express some of the JOYful events of this past week.  Even in the midst of very cold temperatures and indoor recesses because of the frigid cold, teachers and students enjoyed some great times!

Sunday!

After a wonderful church service on Sunday morning, I went to lunch with Yeongmin, my dear friend and former SYME student.  He took me to a Japanese restaurant in Ichon - a new restaurant for me.  We had a very tasty lunch and a great conversation.  We had not been able to get together for over four weeks because of both of our busy schedules.  It was great to see Yeongmin and catch up. Please continue to pray that he will become a believer.

Yeongmin and GGG at lunch last Sunday!

Yeongmin enjoyed this Salmon Sushi!  I tasted it and
                                 enjoyed it, too!

I selected this rice, egg and chicken dish!  Quite good as well!

Dessert!!                        
___________________________________

Then the YISS staff gathered at the Dragon Hill banquet hall on the US Army Base in Yongsan for our annual Staff Christmas Dinner!  It was another festive evening with special dinner music provided by the YISS Music Club under the direction of Mrs. Lynelle Harding.  They always do a nice job!  There was so much good food and excellent fellowship and fun! It is always great to see see all of the families together in one setting.

        One section of the wonderful buffet meal!

The carver of turkey and ham!

     Salads! (Some of them.)                        

Some of the desserts!!

         Our table's server in his festive vest and JOYful smile!

Two of my plates!                       

Some of the YISS teachers and their families!  I couldn't capture all of them in one shot.
________________________________________________________________

Monday!

On Monday I received a text message from another of my former SYME students, Minseok (Jeff)! He had written on Sunday evening asking for prayer for his wife who was in the hospital getting ready to have a Caesarean section.  He was worried and wanted me to pray for the family.  Monday morning he texted to inform me that his wife gave birth to a beautiful little daughter!  Minseok was so excited about the birth of their first child.  I am so excited for him and his wife.  He still has not become a believer but I believe he is getting close.  Thanks for praying.  Here is a picture of his little cherub!  She is soooooo cute!!

Minseok's cute baby girl!!  He is such a proud and happy Daddy!
_________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday!

The day began with a yummy breakfast that was organized and prepared by our Elementary Principal, Bev Birmingham.  This was for our elementary teachers and everyone enjoyed the very delicious taste treats Bev had provided with assistance from Krista Roll, Assistant Elementary Principal.  I was chief server. It was a very JOYful way to begin a very busy day!

Mrs. Birmingham getting ready to serve the yummy breakfast to our teachers!
________________________________________

Tuesday evening was such a delightful happening!  Ms. Shauna Weir, our K-3 Music teacher, directed our 2nd and 3rd Grade cherubs in a Christmas musical, Christmas Hang-Ups!  This is a musical featuring ornaments from the Watsons' Christmas tree.  The actors and actresses did such an amazing job of performing and the rest of the students were awesome as they sang the various songs which so clearly presented the real meaning of Christmas.  I was sooooo impressed with the gifted soloists and actors as they presented the true meaning and JOY of Christmas.  I wanted to place a video of one of the songs from the concert, but all of the videos I took were too large to put in the blog. :-(  I am so sorry.  You can find all of the ones I took on facebook on my timeline if you wish to see them.

Grade 2 and 3 students with some of the main actors on stage singing!!

A close up shot of the main actors!                                                     
___________________________________________________________

Wednesday!

Wednesday was our monthly "Fun Day" in elementary!  Kids and staff came dressed in a "Christmasy" outfit.  Many of the classes had Christmas parties during the day; some had them on Thursday. It was just a great day of enJOYing Christmas.

Three teachers at lunch! Left to right: Ms. Greaves (4C), Ms. Weir
                          (Music), and Ms. Dean (4A)!

Grade 5C teacher, Ms. Moncada!

One of our Kinder students showing the  
front of her outfit.                

Here is the back of her outfit! :-)

    Three fourth grade cherubs dressed for Christmas!

Another 4th grade student!

These two fifth grade boys are my buddies.
They have become very close friends with 
each other.  I call them Mutt and Jeff!    
_____________________________

During the day I had a surprise visit from one of my YISS High School friends who graduated last May from YISS.  I was so happy to see Alwarith Alharthy, now a student at a university in Nebraska.  He is one of the sons of the Ambassador from Oman to South Korea.  Alwarith and I connected my first year at YISS and our relationship continues.  I am asking you to pray for me as I meet with Alwarith for dinner on Monday, December 22.  He is a Muslim young man and continues to ask me many questions about my belief in Jesus Christ.  On Friday he came back to school and I had an amazing conversation with Alwarith and Jinwoo.  Jinwoo is a junior from Colombia and has been one of the stars on our High School Soccer team.  Jinwoo and Alwarith invited me to join them in the cafeteria and began asking so many questions about life and important matters.  Jinwoo is Catholic and he asked questions about my beliefs on many issues.  I was thrilled that both young men were listening intently as I was able to share my faith in Jesus Christ with them and how this belief has shaped my life.  Thank you for remembering these two young men in prayer as I continue to build even stronger relationships with them.

Here I am on Wednesday with Alwarith!  Sorry I do not have a picture of Jinwoo yet.
__________________________

Wednesday afternoon I was asked by Pierce, one of our third grade students, to his first public performance with his guitar.  Pierce has taken guitar lessons once a week for about 4-5 weeks with our Grade 1C teacher, Mr. Adams.  Pierce and Mr. Adams came to my office at 4:00 and played a duet. I was so proud of Pierce and the excellent job he did in just a few weeks!  Mr. Adams was thrilled with all that he has learned.  When Pierce finished and heard the compliments from Mr. Adams and me, this huge smile appeared on his face.

Here is Mr. Adams with his guitar student, Pierce, with me in my office following Pierce's first public performance!  Notice that smile of JOY that Pierce is displaying!
_______________________________________________________________________

Thursday!

Another busy day with more class parties and completion of final transcripts for five of our elementary students who are withdrawing to return to their home countries during the Christmas Break.  It is always hard to let go of our students, but such is one of the things one must deal with at an international school.  Teachers are also working on final grades and comments for Quarter Two for all of the students.

I was also invited to attend the Kindergarten A's Highlight Video Premiere for Semester One.  Ms. Regnier, our KA teacher, always does a wonderful job of communicating special events and learning activities with parents.  Parents love coming to this annual premiere showing.  The red carpet is put out and the KA students enter to take their seats for the special showing.  They enjoy popcorn as they watch the movie.  I thought you would enjoy seeing this 15 minute premiere.  I even made several of the highlights!  At the very end each of the kids share what was their favorite event.  I love it!  Each time I watch it, I am filled with JOY! Hope you can take 15 minutes to view it.  Here is what you will need to do to view the highlight video: 1) go to this url link: https://vimeo.com/114550087 ; 2) Use this password: yissguardians ; and 3) enjoy! Let me know if you are not able to view it.  I will help you.

KA cherubs ready to view the Premiere of the Semester 1 Highlights!

The other group of KA angels with their popcorn ready for the    
Premiere Showing!                                  
______________________________

Our KB teacher, Ms. Han, shared a very moving experience she had in her KB class.  This year all three sections of our kindergarten students are so sensitive and caring and loving.  KB has had a substitute Teacher Aid during Quarter 2 because their regular aid left to have her baby.  The substitute aid, Ms. Chae, had her final day with KB on Friday.  The children asked Ms. Han if they could gather around Ms. Chae and lay hands on her and pray for her as she left.  Ms. Han said it was one of the most moving experiences she has had with a group of kinder students. Her heart and mine were full of JOY!

KB students laying on hands and praying for Ms. Chae as she prepares to leave YISS following her substitute appointment at YISS in Quarter Two.
_______________________________________________________________

Friday!

This was an Early Release Day as it was out last day of Quarter Two and the last day before Christmas Break.  As usual we had our annual Elementary Christmas Assembly for our 450 elementary students.  It was a special time of sharing once again the real meaning of Christmas. Below are a couple highlights of the 45 minute assembly.  Again, I wanted to show a couple videos of the POP Dance After School Activity and their performance at the Christmas Assembly, but it is telling me that the file exceeds the limit I can put on here. :-(  They did such a great job and the kids loved their performance!


  Each quarter teachers select a student who has been representing
   "The Guardian Way" code of conduct throughout the quarter. 
 Above are the students selected for Quarter Two.  Each are given
  a Guardian bracelet and certificate and will take part in creating
  the large wall hanging Mrs. Franck does each year to encourage

                        our students to be a "Guardian."

The students were so excited to hear the final results of our       
Walk-A-Sock-A-Thon.  It takes a long time for the bank to transport
all of our 100 Won coins to the bak and sort them and count them.  
This year's total was almost $10,000!  This included the 10% added 
to the children's total of coins brought in their socks.  This will be  
divided among nine organizations that are led by our YISS high school
students to help organizations helping the widows, the hearing impaired,
as well as organizations fighting against child slavery, sex trafficking, etc.
________________________________________________________________

Saturday!

I was finally able to meet an SYME student and a graduate of Moody Bible Institute, John Choi!  I met John briefly at the wedding of Namgyu and Victoria Cho last January.  We have talked via facebook and we have both wanted to get together.  John had time off from his Korean Military Service this weekend and we were able to enjoy a yummy lunch at Los Amigos on Saturday.  I was delighted to finally officially meet John and get to him.  I was delighted to hear how he came to know the Lord and what his desires are following his military service.  I know he would appreciate your prayers.

GGG and John Choi preparing to eat our yummy Mexican meal!

The Baja Burrito!!!  So tasty!!                   
__________________________________________________________

I am so thankful for each of you who continue to love me and pray for me and support me.  You are such an encouragement to me.  Please enjoy a wonderful week as you prepare for Christmas on December 25!

Love, Gregg




No comments:

Post a Comment