Sunday, October 25, 2015

Technology is Great - When it Works; But God is Perfect - All the TIme; and I am Nothing!

The first week of Quarter Two was one of the most hectic ones I have experienced at YISS.  This year the administration implemented several major technology changes that were supposed to improve communication and make things easier for teachers and parents!  There has been one glitch after another during the first quarter causing this old man, who is not a technology expert at all, great frustration and stress.  Things got better and then we were informed that we would need to create a new Grade Report for students to match with the new technology and we had to have it quickly. Grade Reports were to go home by Wednesday of this past week.  Teachers were to have their Quarter Comments to the three principals by Monday and grades the following day.  Well, that didn't happen since there were major glitches with the technology system that had been initiated this year. Many staff members were working extra long hours in order to come up with a solution.  Things look liked they were ready to go on Thursday morning.  Our Elementary secretary had prepared 460 envelopes with students' names and grades on each of them.  Why? Because instead of sending grade Reports electronically as we did with our old system, we now have to print the report, fold it and place it in the envelope.

All of a sudden our elementary principal came to the office and informed us that it was decided that we would use large envelopes and that each principal would be sending a three-page document (that still needed to be prepared and printed) instead of the regular business envelope.  Grade Reports were still not printed.  So all three elementary principals and staff who were not teaching came to the elementary office and began the process of printing out Grade Reports, proofing the three-page letter, placing labels on the new large envelopes, and, as soon as we were able to print Grade Reports for a grade, then placing all the documents in the larger envelopes.  As we completed each grade, someone delivered them to the appropriate teacher and that teacher distributed the material to their students. We were not sure the Grade Reports for Grades 2 and 3 would be able to be printed.  At about 1:30, we got the news that we could now print those reports.  Between 1:30 and 2:50 (school dismisses at 3:00), we were able to complete the process for these two grades.

And Thursday was the day I had set aside to work on completing everything for the Quarter Two After School Activities so that everything would be ready for the person who would be taking care of things this coming week.  Why?  Because I was the one from the elementary administration who was chosen to go to the EARCOS (East Asian Regional Council of Schools) Conference in Bangkok, Thailand from October 27 through November 1.  I stayed later than usual on Thursday and then on Friday spent the entire day working on ASA stuff.  That still was not sufficient time and I spent a good chunk of time on Saturday in the office putting things together.  I will still need to work on Monday finishing things for ASA and going to a meeting and then packing.


My desk during Friday and Saturday as I completed things for the ASA in Quarter 2! :-)  Over 350 cherubs will be involved in ASA.
___________________________________________________

Friday was the day for Parent-Teacher Conferences at YISS.  It was a long day for teachers, but it was exciting to hear excellent reports from most teachers about the conferences.  During the busy day, elementary teachers were invited to come to the elementary office to enjoy some taste treats. We had ordered Caribou Coffee and Coffee Latte + Mrs. Willetts, our elementary principal, brought in her waffle maker and made waffles for teachers when they had a break.  Mrs. Roll, assistant elementary principal, had made some very delicious cookies for the staff to enjoy as well.


Two of our teachers as they stopped by the office on Friday for a waffle with fruit and WHIPPED CREAM and homemade cookies!  Mrs. Biersteker on the left and Mrs. Bongiovanni on the right!
________________________________________________________

With all of the hectic and frantic events on this past week, God's timing is always perfect!  On Wednesday evening, I had agreed to meet my dear friend and former SYME student, Gunmo Kim.  I was so thankful that I was able to meet with this delightful young man in the middle of everything! What a joy he is and such an encouragement to me!  We had so much fun catching up.  One of the reasons Gunmo wanted to meet me was to ask me to give a "congratulatory address" at his wedding. I am so humbled to be able to be a small part of my dear friend's wedding.  On November 28 he will marry Su Jin.  I have met her before and I think she is the perfect lady for Gunmo.  He is so excited about this special event.  We met at Los Amigos for dinner and enjoyed a lot of laughter and joy and sharing of prayer requests.  Would you please pray for Gunmo as final preparations are made for the wedding?


GGG and Gunmo enjoying some great conversation as we prepare to eat our yummy dinners at Los Amigos!


The very happy Gunmo as he prepares to marry his beautiful Su Jin!  He enjoyed the Chicken Sizzling Fajitas!


       I enjoyed the very tasty Chicken Quesadillas!


Here we are with my friend, August, the smiling waiter who has become my friend at Los Amigos.  He is always giving me service gifts.  He loved seeing Gunmo again and is excited for his wedding.
_____________________________________________________

Then on Friday evening I had arranged to meet with my excellent friend, Nam Gyu Baek (David) and another former SYME student, Louis (Kyu Jin Nam)!  I hadn't seen Kyu Jin since I left SYME and it was so good to see him.  Nam Gyu told me Kyu Jin wanted Nam Gyu to come along since he was afraid of his English. :-)  Nam Gyu had told me that Kyu Jin had lost his job suddenly because of economic reasons and was greatly distressed.  It was so good to see both of these young men who are serving the Lord.  Kyu Jin wrote to me after our dinner at Toma Tillo to tell me how I had greatly encouraged him - especially when I shared about tough times in my life and not knowing what God wanted, but still being able to stay joyful because of God always bringing me through the tough times.  What Nam Gyu and Kyu Jin did not know was that they were such an encouragement to me by coming to see me.  God knew they were just what I needed after a very tough week at YISS.


GGG with Kyu Jin and Nam Gyu at Toma Tillo on Friday evening.  What a great time we had together!

   My wonderful friend, Nam Gyu, with his huge 
                   plate full of Mexican treats!


Kyu Jin with his great smile and his plate of      
Pork Quesadillas!  Very yummy!              
______________________________________________________

At church on Sunday morning, the choir sang one of my favorite songs, Lord, Make me an Instrument of thy Peace. It has been attributed to St. Francis of Assisi and you probably know it well. However, it was just what I needed this week as well.  Here are the words of the song.  I have been reflecting on them a lot and have been using it as my prayer - especially right now.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand, To be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; It is in pardoning that we are pardoned; It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

After the choir sang, Doug Park, our pastor introduced Pastor Peter Ahn from New Jersey.  Pastor Ahn was in Korea sharing at our church's family retreat (which I was not able to attend) and stayed over to preach on Sunday morning.  Just what I needed after this past week.  Pastor Ahn preached a powerful message from Acts 9: 1-19.  I wish you could have heard it.  The title of his message was Breaking Free From Spiritual Complacency!  One of the things he said that is sticking with me and causing great reflection on my part was this, "God's work is at work most powerfully in our lives in our nothingness! To experience the fullness of God, the element of human possibility must be destroyed!" 
_____________________________________________________

Thank you for praying especially for me this week that I will be able to complete everything for the After School Activities program for Quarter Two before leaving for the EARCOS Conference in Thailand.  As always, I want to thank you for your love, care, encouragement, prayers, and support over the years!  I am a blessed man to have so many upholding me with their love and prayers. Enjoy this last week of October!

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment