Saturday, January 9, 2016

"If we don't come apart; we will come apart!"

The title of my post this week is a quote from Vance Havner!  I needed to hear this over this Christmas Break.  I was working many days during the Break and when I read this, I knew I needed to get alone and reflect and spend time with the Lord.  One of the Teaching Assistants at YISS told me about this special place where she goes to get alone and reflect.  It is called "November Ocean Stay" and is located on the eastern shore of South Korea.  I was able to reserve a beautiful room at November Ocean Stay for two nights and three days.  It as a beautiful spot right off the East Sea in Jumunjin.  I was so happy to learn of this special spot.  I went and spent a lot of time walking the beach, enjoying the pounding of the waves against the rock formations and the beach, spending time reading and praying, and just enjoying reflecting on the greatness of God and the beauty He has created.

It was during this time that I began reading a little book my dear friends, Deborah and Douglas gave me for Christmas.  It is entitled Faith's Checkbook, a devotional written by Charles H. Spurgeon with promises of God to His children.  I arrived at November Ocean Stay on January 4.  I had made the decision to accept the offer of being the Director at International Christian School - Pyeongtaek right before Christmas and was starting to worry about all that would need to be done.  Was I really able to do this at 66+ years of age?  What have I done?  I just don't have the strength or ability to do this.  On the bus ride to Jumunjin, all of these questions and doubts kept going through my head.  Very early Tuesday morning, I took my first walk on the beach, I took Spurgeon's book on the walk and sat down on the beach and read his entry for Tuesday, January 5.  Here is part of the entry which was just what I needed:

A Wonderful Guarantee

"I will strengthen you."  - Isaiah 41:10

"When called to serve or to suffer, we take stock of our strength, and find it to be less than we thought, and less than we need.  But let not our heart sink while we have such a word as this to fall back upon.  God has strength omnipotent, and His promise is that He will give it to us.  There is no telling how much power God can put into a man.  When divine strength comes, human weakness is no more a hindrance."

There is more, but Spurgeon concludes January 5 with this: "My own weakness makes me shrink, but God's promise makes me brave."

Then on Wednesday morning, January 6, I went out for another sunrise walk on the beach and took Spurgeon's book and my Bible along.  Again, I sat down and this is what I read from Faith's Checkbook for January 6:

Help from Without

"Yes, I will help you."   - Isaiah 41:10

"Yesterday's promise secured us strength for what we have to do, but this guarantees us aid in cases where we cannot act alone.  The Lord says, 'I will help you.'  God can raise us up allies in our warfare, but even if He does not send us human assistance, He Himself will be at our side, and this is better still.

His help is timely, His help is very wise, His help is effectual, His help is more than help, for He bears all the burden and supplies in all the need.

Because He has already been our help, we feel confidence in Him for the present and the future.  Our prayer is, 'Lord, be my helper;' our experience is, 'The Spirit helps in our weaknesses;' our expectation is, 'I will lift up my eyes to the hills - from where my help comes;' and our song soon will be, 'You, Lord, have helped me.' "

Just what I needed to be reminded of!  I continued a beautiful time of reflection and refreshment at November Ocean Stay as I looked forward to what lies ahead as I prepare to serve Him at ICS-Pyeongtaek!  Thank you for continuing to pray as I prepare for this next time of ministry.

Here are some pictures from my delightful time at November Ocean Stay.  Enjoy!


Main building of the very quaint and beautiful "November Ocean Stay!"


Tuesday morning sunrise captured on my early morning walk!


My new friend, Min Seock, who is the General Manager of November Ocean Stay!  We had some great conversations and he was very interested in my beliefs and how I deal with loneliness.  A wonderful young man who goes out of his way to make all guests feel so welcomed!


          The view of the East Sea from my bedroom window!


A selfie from the Tower looking out to the East Sea!            


One of the wonderful rock formations I saw on my morning walks along the beach!


Enjoying some coffee and cheesecake at Cafe' Brazil!


Wednesday morning sunrise from my bedroom window - after my morning walk!


             Breakfast by the fireplace at November Ocean Stay!


One of my breakfasts at November Ocean Stay!!                
__________________________________________________________

On Wednesday evening, I returned to my apartment after the refreshing stay at November Ocean Stay.  I went into YISS on Thursday and Friday to do some final work on the Quarter Three After School Activities program, write some teacher evaluations, and proofread Quarter Two Comments for the eight classes I am assigned.  When I arrived on Thursday at school, I went to the Teachers' Room to check on mail I may have received and found some Christmas cards and a special package from my dear friends, Dale and Donna Ingram from Mystic, CT.  They had sent the original portrait that their son, Julian, had drawn of me about 3 months ago.  Julian is so gifted and he had created a great portrait of me from four photos I emailed to him.  I have been using it as my Facebook profile picture and was hoping some day to purchase the original.  Dale and Donna sent a really special note with the original of the portrait indicating that an anonymous donor had purchased the portrait for me and placed it in a frame.  I love it!  This is a wonderful treasure and a daily prayer reminder to pray for Julian and thank the Lord for his gifts and talents and how he is using them for God!


This is the original portrait that Julian Caleb Ingram did of me.  Dale and Donna sent this framed original to me and I am trying to determine the best location to put it.
_________________________________________________________

On Friday evening, I had a special dinner with a new friend I made when I was traveling to Pyeongtaek to visit some of the staff at International Christian School - Pyeongtaek.  I took the subway, Line #1, and it can be confusing at three different points.  I was traveling alone and thought I had it all worked out, but found out that at the final spot of the three points, I was taken on a detour. Everyone was getting out of the train and I had no idea where I was.  I just knew this was not my stop!  A young Chinese student saw my frustration and told me he would get me to the right stop. We introduced ourselves and had a delightful conversation.  His name is Li Chuan Qing and he s studying English at Namseoul University in Cheonan.  He made sure I made all of my connections! We exchanged contact information.  Chuan Qing said he would be in touch when he came up to Seoul to go to the "tooth doctor." :-)  He called me and said he would be coming up on Friday.  I was free so after some work at YISS, I met Chuan Qing in Itaewon and he said he had never had Mexican food.  So we went Los Amigos.  He absolutely loved the food and had a great experience.  He wants to continue to meet with me as often as he can.  We had some excellent conversation.  He was asking me about my beliefs and what I did.  He could not believe it when I told him I was 66 years old.  He said my parents don't look as young as you and are not as active and joyful as you, and they are only 52 years old.  Please pray for Li Chuan Qing as you think of him.  I am excited to see what will happen in his life.


This is Li Chuan Qing, my new Chinese friend, about to enjoy his Baja Burrito at Los Amigos.  He thought it was very, very, very, very good!  What a kind and caring young man!


After our meal, Chuan Qing wanted a photo with the server, and my friend, August, and me.  Chuan Qing really enjoyed meeting August and said he loves the humor of both August and me.  Thanks for praying for him!
__________________________________________________

Saturday was the day I scheduled to meet with my dear friend from SYME days, Jin Seok and his bride-to-be, Eun Sun.  They came to Itaewon and because they were very late, Jin Seok said that they would go wherever I wanted to go.  I told them about a new favorite place that Ji Sang liked - The Original Pancake House in Itaewon.  I told them about the bacon and sausage and they immediately said, "Let's go."  They LOVED the food and we had a fantastic time together.  I was able to get to know Eun Sun a little bit more and prepare for my part in the wedding ceremony on January 16.  Jin Seok also told me that he would be seeking a new job because he wants to be with Eun Sun more than just on weekends.  She is the important person in his life right now!  Pray for Jin Seok and Eun Sun as they begin their lives together as one and serve Him together.  They both are getting very involved in their church with the youth as well.  Pray that Jin Seok will be able to find a good job near the apartment where they will be living, which is near their church in Incheon.  I know they would appreciate it.


GGG with the very happy love couple, Eun Sun and Jin Seok preparing to enjoy our brunches!  Everyone enjoyed the meals and our great time of laughter and conversation.  Thanks for praying for these two special people!


This is Jin Seok's choice!!  (Actually, he gave me the
                          whipped cream!!) :-)


Eun Sun enjoyed some pancakes and Jalapeno Potato and Bacon Hash!  Very spicy and very good!


I enjoyed the sausage, eggs, and pancakes with some 
delicious fresh strawberries and bananas!         
_____________________________________________________

Last Saturday I took Ji Sang to the Original Pancake House also.  You may not have seen the pictures on Facebook so I thought I would share a couple here.  Ji Sang LOVES the Original Pancake House and wants to have one right beside his apartment!  I know he would value your prayers as well as he does a lot of thinking on what God wants him to be doing down the road.


This was Ji Sang's very happy look when he saw the amazing bacon with the eggs and pancakes!  He wanted to take extra bacon home with him!


Here I am with Ji Sang enjoying some great conversation and preparing to dig into our tasty breakfasts!
_____________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for all of your love, cards, notes, emails, prayers, and support over this past Christmas season.  You are very special to me and I trust you will enjoy a very meaningful 2106!!

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment