Saturday, June 18, 2016

Enjoying New Experiences in Pyeongtaek!!

It has been a week of new experiences in my new surroundings in Pyeongtaek.  There is one experience of the past week that is not so enjoyable, but needed to be accomplished.  That was unpacking the many boxes and arranging the items in new locations in the apartment and at my office at ICSP.  There are still a number of boxes to be unpacked and sorted, but I did make a huge dent in this task.  I am hoping to complete most of this on Monday and Tuesday prior to my departure for a respite in the USA.

As I was unpacking boxes and bags on Tuesday, I realized that four fall/winter jackets, five sweaters, and three of my very favorite pullover jerseys were missing.  I had one of the ladies in the school's Business Office contact the moving company and they said they delivered everything they packed and loaded. I had watched them pack these particular items and watched as they loaded that box on the truck.  So I knew they had been packed and loaded.  As you may remember, until June 20, I am sharing the apartment of the outgoing director.  When the moving company brought my belongings to Pyeongtaek, I wasn't at the apartment yet.  So Mr. Newman had placed my suits, shirts, bags of clothing, etc. in various closets in the apartment.  I told him that I could not locate this one particular bag of items. I came home and searched high and low in every room and could not locate the missing items.  I had several people praying.  On Thursday evening, Bob came out of his bedroom with a large yellow plastic bag and asked me, "Are these the items you are missing?"  I looked in the bag and was so excited as I saw all of the missing items!!  They had been hiding under some large items in a closet in the one bedroom.  Even though I searched that bedroom, I never saw this bag.  So, the lost has been found and GGG is so grateful! :-)

*  Tuesday evening:  One of my first new experiences in my new neighborhood was to return to some brisk walking.  Brisk walking is not a new experience, but walking in my new neighborhood (Anjeong-ri) was a new experience and I enjoyed every minute of it!  I think if I can get a good podiatrist back in Chambersburg this summer to get my toes free of some nasty corns/callouses, and get shoes that really fit me, these experiences will bring even more enjoyment.  I love walking and really enjoyed seeing a lot of the main street and some side streets in Anjeong-ri!  I found a grocery store that has almost everything I need!  I found a Mexican restaurant, El Gitano's and later in the week ate at it with Bob Newman!  Very similar to Chipotle!  I walked 2.72 miles on Tuesday and then walked 3 miles on Wednesday evening while bettering my average time.  Please pray that I will get some relief from my feet problems so that I can walk on a more regular basis when I return from my visit to the States.

 *  Wednesday Lunch:  Wednesday, I had the pleasure of reuniting with my wonderful friend from SYME days, Mike Nicholes! Mike and his family are now ministering at an English-speaking church in Pyeongtaek. The church is called "Exciting Dae Kwang Church." From what Mike told me, "dae" in Korean is "big" and "kwang" in Korean is "light." Rather cool name for a church. I am considering fellowshipping with this church community.  After visiting the church building, Mike took me to "Spoons," a Shabu Shabu Buffet restaurant near the church.  I loved this new restaurant experience!  Look forward to returning to the church and Spoons! We had such a great time of conversation, fellowship, and very tasty food!




My friend from SYME days, Mike Nicholes, and I preparing to eat a delicious Shabu Shabu buffet meal at Spoons in Pyeongtaek!


  One of my plates from the buffet + the plate of 
delicious meat that we are about to boil and enjoy!


The tasty meat and veggies being boiled for our eating pleasure!   
_____________________________________________________

*  Thursday and Friday: Another new experience was a visit to the Navy Federal Credit Union on the US Army Base at Camp Humphreys in Anjeong-ri!  I accompanied Bob Newman and Mylene Haselman (ICSP Business Manager) to the base and the CU in order to remove Bob's name as a signatory for the bank account for the school. This was another experience where God was very much involved.  At first, we didn't think I qualified to be a signatory at the Navy Federal CU on Camp Humphreys.  I was told if I had a blood relative who serves, or had served, in the military or with the Department of Defense as a civilian, I could qualify.  My brother was so kind to send me the necessary paperwork to show that he was retired from the DOD.  It's a long story, but I am grateful that all was able to be worked out and as a bonus, I was even able to become a member of the Navy Federal Credit Union which has some benefits that will be of help to me as I serve here in Korea. (The final paperwork was completed on Friday morning after receiving the documents from my brother!  Thanks, Jared!)
__________________________________________________

*  Friday Dinner:  After completing the paperwork at the Navy Federal CU on Friday morning, I spent most of Friday at ICSP starting to get my office in shape.  Lots of unpacking to do and trying to get things situated for my use.  The on Friday evening I went to Anjeong-ri with my wonderful friends, Tony and Yvonne Kuhn, to dinner for a new restaurant experience at Puffin Restaurant - located near the main gate to Camp Humphreys!  We enjoyed some great conversation, laughter, and very delicious food!  Thanks so much for introducing me to this delightful new food place in the Pyeongtaek area!



Here I am with Tony and Yvonne Kuhn at Puffin Restaurant preparing to enjoy our meals!  


      Yvonne selected the very delicious Snapper!


Tony and I each ordered Lasagna - sooo cheesy and yummy!      
______________________________________________________

*  Saturday Morning:  Saturday morning I was invited along with the outgoing Headmaster at ICS Pyeongtaek, Bob Newman, to a fantastic breakfast at the Haselman home! Mylene Haselman had prepared a very scrumptious breakfast and we had a great time of conversation and laughter with her husband (Steve), daughter Ianne), and assistant. Mylene is an accomplished cook and is the key to all of the very yummy meals prepared for student and staff at ICSP.  It was great to enjoy the very tasty breakfast and fellowship on Saturday morning in the Haselman home.  It was good to get to know their daughter, Ianne, who will be senior at ICSP this coming year.  Ianne began in Kindergarten at ICSP and will be able to say she completed 13 years of education at ICSP next May!



Preparing to enjoy a very delicious breakfast in their lovely home!  Clockwise beginning on the left: Ianne, Mylene, Steve, GGG, and Bob!


The sign above the refrigerator in Mylene's kitchen!  


   Bacon, Corn Beef Hash, Eggs, Pancakes, fresh Blueberries!! :-)


Homemade, freshly baked Blueberry scones!!  Oh soooo good!!  
_____________________________________________________

The outgoing Director/Headmaster, Bob Newman, will depart very early on Monday morning to head to the Incheon Airport in Seoul to return to Florida to be reunited with his wife, Cynthia, who had to return earlier because of family situations requiring her to be there.  Please pray that Bob will have a safe journey and a great reunion with his wife and family.  Your prayers for me would be appreciated as well as I will be attempting to finish all of the unpacking and rearranging in the apartment and ICSP office on Monday and Tuesday.  I will also be packing for my journey to the USA.  I will leave early Wednesday morning with my excellent friend, Tony Kuhn, who has offered to take me to the airport.  I am looking forward to being home for a little bit, but I am also going to be doing some work which I will need to do in order to be ready to begin with our returning and new staff at ICSP.  I am so thankful for some key staff who have been assisting me in this transition: Tony Kuhn, Charlie Mooney, Mylene Haselman, Helen Lee, and Tia Guinn.

Thank you for being so faithful with your love, care, encouragement, emails, prayers, and support. Your prayers on Wednesday, June 22, as I travel from Seoul to Washington Dulles Airport would be greatly appreciated.  Enjoy your week!

Love,
Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment