Saturday, May 25, 2013

Heat, Concerts, Parties, Special Visits, etc.!!

What a delightful week!  So busy, yet exciting and so much fun!  It was quite a full week and an exhausting one, but hoping to catch up on some rest this weekend.  Thanks for continuing to pray for me and others involved in the ministry of education here at YISS!  Before I share some of the events of the week, I want to ask for your strong prayers for a very difficult situation in our high school.  I do not know all the details, but I would just ask you to pray that God would give wisdom to those who have some difficult decisions to make involving several of our high school students.  With the ending of another school year and the very hot week, I believe that Satan is very actively at work among our YISS community.  Your faithful prayers at this time will be very much appreciated!

The elementary school had its final two music concerts for the year - both in our beautifully refurbished auditorium with a new balcony and a great sound system!  Tuesday evening was the Elementary Orchestra, Beginning Band, and 4th Grade combined concert!  Mrs. Harding and Ms. Zakula did a wonderful job with our awesome students!

Thursday evening was an exceptional concert by our 2nd and 3rd grade cherubs under the direction of Dr. Harding!  Almost 160 students on our bigger stage performed to the delight of a packed house!  Oh, how I wish you all could have been there to hear these little ones perform their concert - Hungry to Learn: A Celebration of Knowledge!  They sang and played with such joy and enthusiasm!

Beginning Band Concert!  This includes some 4th and 5th Grade students who are just starting on their instruments!

The Elementary Orchestra!  These 4th and 5th graders 
did a great job!  Can't wait to hear them next year!

The 4th grade cherubs singing at their music concert under Mrs. Harding's direction.


Grades 2 and 3 on stage performing their awesome
concert! 

Grades 2 and 3 again with some of those who were 
accompanying with the drums!  Great job!
________________________________________

Thursday morning I heard this beautiful music coming into my office.  My office is near the Orchestra Room and often I can hear them rehearsing, but this sound was much closer and louder.  I got out of my chair and walked to the main area of the Elementary/High School Office Suite and found a String Quintet playing beautiful music.  They surprised us in the office suite with some selections they will perform at YISS High School Graduation on June 1. These five seniors are awesome - so gifted and talented!  If you have not seen the video I posted on Facebook of their little performance right outside my office door, you should check it out.

A Senior String Quintet after their great performance in the Elementary/High School Office suite! Awesome group!!
___________________________________________

The principals and assistant principals were invited to a PTO Luncheon on Thursday.  It was held in the new Multi Purpose Room near the new Library.  It was our opportunity to share our expression of gratitude to the PTO Board members for the amazing work and support of our students and the education programs at YISS!  They are a super group of volunteers!  I believe the total of parent volunteers reached 550 this year!

Above and below are some of the most delicious foods that were provided for the PTO Board Appreciation Luncheon!  Soooooo good!

______________________________________________________

On Friday, the Elementary Librarian invited me to share my reading of one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books, Oh, The Paces You'll Go! to the group of elementary children in Kinder through Grade 5 who have been faithful as Librarian Assistants this past year.  I always love this time and I loved sharing this book and some of my experiences with this great group of youngsters!  Then I was invited to stay for some TICO ice cream bars and homemade brownies which were especially yummy!


Reading to the Library Assistants at their
Appreciation Party!

Some of the Library Assistants enjoying their ice cream and brownies!!

Here I am with Grace in 2A!  She is my
secret admirer (not so secret any more)! :-)  
Grace was my Assistant Principal of the Day
in last year's Read-A-Thon!  She is such a
great young lady!
_______________________________________________

I had some special surprises this week with friends outside of my YISS community.  On Wednesday evening I was able to have a nice dinner at My Thai China Restaurant with Sooyong (Soul).  Sooyong and I met when he was a server at a restaurant called "Between" located near YISS.  Last August he left to study engineering at Auburn University in America.  He returned for the summer and contacted me to go out and catch up.  Sooyong is not a believer but continues to ask questions.  Thanks for praying for him as he studies.

Sooyong and me at My Thai China!  So great to catch up with him!
________________________________________

Friday evening two very special friends, Gunmo and Changyong, came to Seoul and stayed over at my apartment.  What a great time we had together!  Both of these young men are diligently serving the Lord in their work places and are so eager to show Christ's love to their colleagues and family.   I hadn't seen them for several weeks so it was great to just sit and talk and enjoy catching up.  Oh yes, both of them are strong Kia Tigers' baseball fans.  They also know that I am a strong Doosan Bears' fan and enjoy when Kia loses or any teams beats Kia.  They wanted to watch the NC Dinos (a new Korean major league baseball team) play Kia.  When we turned on the TV, Kia was losing 10 - 0!!  I loved it but Gunmo was groaning the entire time.  The Dinos have been the worst team in the Korean baseball this year so far and he could not stand it that his beloved Tigers were losing 10 - 0!! :-)  It ended 10 - 5, so I was happy! :-)   Saturday morning we went to Holly's Coffee for Brunch and then Gunmo had to leave for a work engagement and Changyong had to go the wedding of the son of his boss at work.  So great to be with these wonderful young men, who I am blessed to call dear friends!  Thanks for praying for them.

Gunmo and Changyong at my apartment enjoying
some yummy dead chicken!

Brunch at Holly's Coffee with my two crazy and awesome friends!!

Yummy brunches at Holly's Coffee!!
__________________________________________________

At church on Sunday we welcomed back, Andy (a tenor) and Rachel (his week-old bride) to the choir.  They had a great time in Thailand and Andy said that they would be coming to New Harvest Ministry.  That is excellent news since he wasn't sure where they might be going once they got married.  It will be great to have one of our tenors stay with us!  What a nice couple they are!

This is Andy and Rachel today at Choir Practice after the worship service!  Andy was telling choir members that he and Rachel will be fellowshipping at New Harvest!  The Choir was delighted!  Please pray for this wonderful couple as they begin their married life together as one.
____________________________

We also had to say goodbye to Hojae!  Hojae is an amazing pianist and has been the Choir's accompanist for five years.  He will be heading to the USA to select a music conservatory for his graduate degree.  The conservatory that enrolls Hojae will be greatly blessed!  I went to his Final Recital at Yonsei University and was so impressed!  Hoping to stay in touch with him as he studies in the USA.  Thank you for praying for him.  He is going to be greatly missed!

At the close of Choir Practice today, Conductor Suh
and Mr. David presented a gift from the Choir to Hojae.
We then sang the traditional Korean blessing song. I 
love that song!

Hojae with me at Choir Practice today!  After practice
he came to me and thanked me for my support and said
he would keep me informed as to which conservatory 
he goes to.  Hoping to keep in touch with this very 
gifted young pianist!  Thanks for praying for him!
______________________________________

I would value your prayers for these 8 days at YISS with our students.  So much is happening and there is still much to be done.  Teachers will be working on Quarter Comments and Grades as well as final grades and reports.  Thanks so much for all of your love, encouragement, notes, prayers, and support during this year.  You are special!

Love, Gregg


No comments:

Post a Comment