Saturday, October 12, 2013

Frantic but Fun-Filled FunFest Week!

Another busy week at YISS!  We continue to get rain causing more delay in getting our Soccer Field project completed.  Maybe by Christmas now. Thanks for praying.  Although we had some rain the past week, it stopped so that we could enjoy a wonderful FunFest on Friday evening!  The PTO and many of the classes put so much work into this annual event!  Because the only outdoor space available, until the Soccer Field is completed, the Courtyard needed to be used for FunFest. This requires setting up for the event several days in advance.  That caused some After School Activities which use the Courtyard to be canceled and lunch recesses to be adjusted to various smaller locations on Thursday and Friday.  But we made it through!  I would like to post a few pictures from the FunFest.  If you want to see more, you can check out my facebook page.

       One of the games: Chomping for Cookies!!

Another game; I loved the display that Grade 5C had prepared for their game!

This was a Middle School game.  Ms. Murphy is the 
scarecrow for this half hour, and she got wet from the 
sponges children threw trying to hit the Angry Bird the
scarecrow was holding. :-)              

Always popular is the Inflatable Activity Zone!!

    Another Angry Birds game made by grade 2D!!

And there was plenty of yummy food!  Here is some Indian food - always popular at YISS!

Some very tasty Japanese food!!              

The finished product of the Japanese food!  This one was MINE!  I loved every yummy bite!!

My dessert - a heart-shaped cookie from the HS booth
to benefit International Justice Mission followed by a 
purchase of whipped cream from the High School Pep
Band!  I had to do some talking to buy some whipped
cream for my cookie, but I was successful!!  :-)

Here I am selling water, Pepsi, Lemon Water, 2% Peach, Gatorade, etc.  This is Seongmin, one of the heads of the Facilities Department at YISS.  I am trying to sell him some drinks for his workers he was going to treat.  Do you like my gloves to keep me dry and warm while plunging into the tubs full of ice and drinks? :-)

One of my new friends in Grade 4A.  He liked his new facial hair!

A former Discipleship boy - Joshua - with his FunFest hairstyle and tattoos!

This is Alwareth, my good HS friend from Oman!
I couldn't believe this usually shy and quiet young
man had his hair done up in glitter (from one of the
HS booths raising money) PLUS he had his nails
colored at one of the HS booths raising money for 
an organization helping abused children and teens.
He was so proud of his hair and nails! :-)
___________________________________________

Elementary MAP (Measurement of Academic Progress) Testing continued throughout the week. This year these tests (all done on computer by the students) have gone much more smoothly with the addition of our Elementary Computer Lab!  We are delighted!  I was involved a couple days with proctoring and assisting with the technology for these tests.

Tuesday was my last formal meeting with my Discipleship boys for Quarter One.  I had a great time with my young men!  I was so encouraged as we talked about all that they learned this quarter.  I received a really nice thank you card from one of the boys indicating that in all of his after school activities during his 5 years in the elementary school at YISS, this Discipleship class was his most awesome! He said he would like to have it every quarter.  This came at a time when I needed to have some encouragement because of various situations with the sale of my home and a few other little situations.  It is so neat to have these boys seek me out on days when they do not have Discipleship to talk about the things that are making them full of joy as well as those problems they are facing.

Here are my Quarter One Discipleship boys!  I love them!
_________________________________________________

On Friday the new Praise Team from fifth grade led our music worship in Chapels!  This team is made up of four boys!  I was thrilled to see these young boys take leadership roles and watch many of the other boys follow their lead during the music time!  I am sorry but the pictures I took were all blurry with the exception of this one which included only two of the boys.  Keep praying for Joshua, Henry, Sean, and Blake as they will be leading during the next October and November in Chapels.

Praise Team 2 from Grade 5.  Well, half of them.  These two, Henry and Blake are sharing about the next song.  Mr. Lazor played guitar for them.  Mrs. Franck, Elementary Chaplain is at the computer.  The Boys in Praise Team 2 did a great job for their first time in Chapel.
________________________________________________

In our OASIS assembly on Friday, Mrs. Franck allowed time for the students to sort many of the coins the children collected for the Walk-A-Sock-Thon.  It was exciting to listen to the kids as they sorted coins during their OASIS time.  They were talking about the walk and how their coins were going to help children in slavery get freedom.  It was also announced that our new total of coins collected reached 470.9 kg!!  The kids are so excited!  Next week Mrs. Franck should have an official count of the total of the money raised once the bank has finished counting the 470.9 kg of 100 Won coins.

One of the elementary boys sorting 100
Won coins!  He was making his own
       interesting game of sorting!

Some of the groups went outside to the small Courtyard to sort.  Here is a group going through and taking out any coins which were not 100 Won coins.

Another group enjoying sorting and talking about the
impact of the money raised for the children in slavery.
______________________________________________________

I have mentioned several times a high school student whose name is Matthew Hahn.  I met Matthew when I first came to YISS in July 2010.  He continues to struggle with depression and on Thursday he his a low point.  What has been really exciting for me is that Matthew seeks me out almost every day just to talk a few minutes.  On Thursday I saw him and could tell that he was not doing well.  I knew he wanted to talk and I was late for an appointment, but was glad I took time.  Matthew said, "I am doomed."  Then he followed up and said, "I have been thinking how I could end my life here at school but can't come up with a good plan. My life is meaningless!"  I stopped and listened and then shared from my heart with Matthew and told him that his life was very important to at least one person.  I think it was one of the first times Matthew saw me fight back tears (I didn't win the fight).  Matthew had to go to class and another teacher came by and saw that I had been speaking with Matthew and we prayed for Matthew. Then I went to speak with Matthew's counselor.  Later that afternoon Matthew came and told me thanks for sharing with his counselor.  He was doing somewhat better.  On Friday morning we saw each other and he was smiling, but still hurting, but he was ready to face the day.  Would you please pray with me for this young man who has a very special place in my heart?  I would really appreciate it.

Above I am with my wonderful friend, Matthew.  I have shown his picture before but I am showing him again because he is heavy on my heart these days and I would value your strong prayers for him!
_________________________________________________

On Saturday evening I was finally able to meet up with one of my former SYME students and friends, Hye Jong (Terry) in Itaewon during the Itaewon Global Village Festival.  I hadn't seen him since January of 2012 so it was wonderful to get caught up.  After five years of dating his girlfriend, they have decided to break it off.  He is doing well, but I am sure he would appreciate your prayers.  We had a really great time visiting and catching up.  Hye Jong is a Quality Control manager for his company and will be leaving for Indonesia for a business trip in a few days.  He is keeping active at his church in choir and playing guitar and driving to pick up church members who have no way to get to church.

The main entrance to the Global Village Festival.  It 
was a gorgeous day and there were so many people in 
         Itaewon to enjoy the festival this year!

Hye Jong and I were able to find a place to eat at The Alley.  Here we are in front of a painting in the restaurant.  Hye Jong had just come from a wedding so he was looking quite handsome in his wedding suit.  He also had just eaten so he only had a coffee latte while I ate my grilled chicken and veggies.  Hye Jong did try a couple pieces of the yummy chicken.  We had a great time of sharing together!

Here is my tasty dinner of grilled chicken and veggies!!
___________________________________________________

I leave you this week with a prayer request for my wonderful friend, Ji Sang. He was working on a paper that was due for his online class at Liberty and suddenly became very sick.  He had to go to the hospital and I think he is doing better.  I will find out more today.  I know he would appreciate your prayers.

Please enjoy a wonderful week.  Thank you very much for your continued prayers, love, encouragement, and support.

Love, Gregg


No comments:

Post a Comment