Saturday, November 29, 2014

A Very Special Week of Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy December to you!

It has been a very special week for me here in Seoul, South Korea.  Many events and people have cause me to reflect on all those people and things for which I am so thankful!  It is so good to take time from busy schedules to pause and reflect and thank God for all that He has allowed me to enjoy throughout my life.  My family has always been a HUGE part of my life and for each and every member of my family, I am so grateful! God has given me so many opportunities to meet many people and develop great relationships and friendships all over the world.  For each of you I am so grateful.  Most of all I am thankful to the One who has allowed me to be impacted by so many, but most of all for forgiving this old man of all his sins and guides me each day as I still struggle with sin...but He gives me the victory.  "Thank you" sometimes just doesn't seem enough.

This past week in Seoul I have enjoyed many happenings which caused me to pause and say "thank you" to God, and also to many people!

1 - An amazing staff of TEACHERS - especially in the elementary school at YISS!  This past week we had several days where teachers and administrators were out sick, recovering from surgery, participating in an education conference, or taking a day of personal leave.  I was so delighted and thankful to see how each of the elementary jumped right in to sub in a class when needed!  I am so grateful for this amazing group of educators!  I even had the opportunity in Grade 2C a couple days. Below are a couple pictures of some of the 2C cherubs I was so grateful to teach on Wednesday and a little on Thursday.  They are in their Spy Day outfits for Wednesday!

   One table group of Grade 2C students who wore Spy outfits on
               Wednesday.  So happy to sub in 2C that day!

Another group of spies from Grade 2C!!                    
______________________________________________________

2 - MUSIC!!  Music has always been a very big part of my life.  My parents encouraged us to play piano and sing!  I loved singing with my siblings in duets, trios, and quartets!  I especially enjoyed singing in duets with my mother!  I still have a vivid memory of my Daddy's solo when he sang "Neath the Crust of the Old Apple Pie".  My Daddy was not a singer but he loved music and I loved when he sang this silly song.

At YISS on Wednesday, we kicked off our elementary Christmas Concerts with our cherubs in Kindergarten and Grade 1.  Our lower elementary Music teacher,  Ms. Weir, does an amazing job with these young ones.  The auditorium was a full house to hear them sing about the real meaning of Christmas!  They were sooooo good and I loved every minute of their concert.  My only disappointment is that my camera ran out of juice just as they began the concert.  I couldn't get any videos but I did get a few pictures on my cell phone.  BUT again it probably was good that I didn't have to worry about taking a video so that I could just enjoy these special children sing with such joy about the birth of Jesus and what that means.  It caused me to say "thank you" many times throughout the concert.  I have also included a special writing by one of our cherubs in Grade 1.  They had a writing assignment in class to write about their concert.  I was enjoying her writing so much and when I got to the end, I burst out laughing. :-)  She tells it like it is!

      Kinder and Grade 1 cherubs singing their opening number, 
                                     Celebrate the Gift!

Another picture of the cherubs singing!

A close up of some of the delightful children sharing Christmas!!  

Some of the special narrators introducing Joy to the World.

  A group of first grade cherubs playing the bells while the others 
                      sing Angels We Have Herd on High!

Here is Annie's special writing!  Try not to laugh too much at the end!
______________________________________________________________

3 - BOOKS and AUTHORS!!  I have a picture of me "reading" on my Daddy's lap when I could not "read."  I am so thankful for my parents and siblings for sharing the joy of reading with me early on. I am convinced that parents who read to their children when they are only 1 or 2 years old, teach so much to their children + there is a bonding that happens that can not really be expressed!  That love of reading has continued and I love how so many of our students at YISS LOVE to read!

We have one or two Author Visits each year at YISS in the elementary school.  This past Thursday we had my friend, author, and illustrator Darren Farrell return to YISS for our Kinder to third grade students.  I met him in January 2013 at my favorite bookstore in Itaewon.  I enjoyed his interactive book reading at that time so much that I invited him to come to YISS in April of 2013.  Our kids loved him!  He has now written two children's books and is almost ready with his third book.  He contacted me and wanted to know if we would be open to have him come to share one of the first readings of his new book, Stop Following Me, Moon and work with a couple of our classes on some illustrations that may be used on the cover of this book!  The kids were soooo excited to see Darren again and he involved them so much as he read his books and shared about illustrations.  Enjoy some pictures from Thursday's special visit which caused me once again to be thankful for the written and illustrated word through books!!

Here I am preparing to introduce my author-friend, Darren Farrell, to the students in Grades 2 & 3.

Mr. Farrell reading Doug-Dennis and the Flyaway Fib to students!

Putting passion into his reading!

GGG introducing Mr. Farrell to the cherubs from Kinder and Grade 1.

K and 1 students listening to Mr. Farrell as he reads!

I love this picture with the expressions on these kinder students as
  they interact with Mr. Farrell's reading of Thank You, Octopus!

Mr. Farrell in KC interacting with students and working with them on sharing some of their ideas for the cover of his next book, Stop Following Me, Moon!

When I brought Darren to the cafeteria to enjoy some lunch together,
students who had just heard him reading, swarmed him.  They just  
wanted to thank him and touch him.  He is so good with the kids!!  
__________________________________________________________________

4 - SPECIAL FRIENDS!!!  I have been blessed with numerous friends all over the world and I am truly thankful for them.  This past week some special friends in Seoul helped make my week of Thanksgiving even more special.

* Last Sunday I was invited by Steve and Karen Kim, parents of two children at YISS, to their apartment to celebrate an early Thanksgiving feast!  It was a wonderful time of meeting new friends, enjoying some old friends, eating LOTS of yummy food, and lots of laughter!  Here are some pictures from that special Sunday afternoon with the Kims and other friends!

The host and hostess, Steve and Karen Kim, welcoming their guests to this special Thanksgiving!

                The yummy turkey being carved!

A couple of tasty salads!!

One of my favorite Korean stews, Kimchi Jjigae!!  Oh,
so delicious!!                            

Some of the very tasty desserts!!

Some pasta, filling (stuffing or dressing - if you prefer),
                        and mashed potatoes!

Two Noahs playing before eating!

My new friend, Jacob Kim.  He was one of the winners in Korea's
version of American Idol, but instead of pursuing a music career,
Jacob believes God wants him to use his skills and intelligence in 
providing clean water for those throughout the world without easily
accessible water!                                     
_______________________________________________________

*  Thursday after making sure all of the students in After School Activities had been picked up, I went to one of my favorite restaurants in Itaewon - Suji's!  There has been a small group of us at YISS who found out that Suji's has a special American Thanksgiving buffet each Thanksgiving.  This was the fourth Thanksgiving celebration for me at Suji's!  We enjoy a scrumptious meal and lots of fellowship, lots of eating, and lots of laughter!

Our Suji's Thanksgiving group this year: Clockwise: GGG, Debbie Gronski, Rachel Pallesen, terry Pallesen, and Sharon Mince.

    This was my first plate of yummy goodies!!  They 
  even served pumpkin pie, which was good - although
   there was no whipped cream.  I must train them!! :-)

Some of the buffet that Suji's had for our enjoyment! 
_________________________________________________________

*  Friday was a day off from YISS. Since Korea doesn't really celebrate American Thanksgiving, we do not have off school on Thursday, but YISS gives teachers and staff Friday as a day off.  I enjoyed a quiet and leisurely morning at Starbucks with some books, coffee, and a bagel.  Then I had received a phone call from Min Soo, a young man I met when he was working at 7-11 right below my apartment in Seobinggo.  We developed a good relationship and when he comes back to Seoul from university, he contacts me to get together.  He was hoping to bring his girlfriend, but she couldn't make it.  Min Soo and I enjoyed a great lunch at Los Amigos. Min Soo wanted to try Mexican food. We had a great conversation!  Min Soo told me he is planning to change his major.  I asked what his major was right now.  He said, "Buddhism."  From what he said, if a student majors in Buddhism at most Korean universities, their tuition is paid for them.  However, he said that doesn't believe in religions.  That started an awesome conversation where I told him I don't believe in religions either. Min Soo knows that I am a Christian and I said that many people have made Christianity their religion when in fact it is not a religion.  True Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ.  He asked many questions and we had a wonderful conversation.  Please pray for my dear friend as he continues to search about God and Jesus.

GGG and Min Soo at Los Amigos on Friday!

Min Soo wanted to try the Enchiladas with
 extra spice!  He loved them and so did I!

Our server, and friend, August, brought us this for   
dessert!  Churros with ice cream and strawberry jelly!
___________________________________________________________

*  Another very special friend and "son," Jisang, invited me to dinner and a special concert on Friday evening!  The concert was a performance by one of Korea's top pianists, Suh, Hai Kyung!  The concert was held in the Music Hall at Ehwa Women's University in Seoul.  What an amazing concert! Ms. Suh is an amazing lady + an awesome pianist!  Her touch on the piano keys is simply beautiful! Her music is expressive, passionate, flowing, and so emotional.  Before each selection Ms. Suh would explain the emotions that are expressed throughout the piece.  Her interpretation of the classical pieces was absolutely stunning. We enjoyed the concert and two encores!  Ms. Suh is currently Professor of Music at Kyunghee University in Korea.  She was diagnosed in 2006 with breast cancer.  Her doctor advised her to stop playing, but she did not want to give up.  After surgeries and treatment and against doctor's advice, Ms. Suh started performing once again in 2008.  I was so delighted to be part of the audience of this beautiful performance by a wonderful lady.

   GGG and Jisang at Hoolala!  A restaurant near Ehwa Women's
        University specializing in yummy chicken!!  Sooo good!

Jisang with his big eyes as we prepare to enjoy the Hoolala garlic chicken with all of the Korean side dishes!  We cleaned up every bite - but I was delighted that Jisang ate most of it! :-)

The stage at Music Hall at Ehwa Women's University is all set for 
one of Korea's top pianists, Suh Hai Kyung!               

Here I am with Ms. Suh at the close of the concert getting my CD set autographed.  I was able to chat a few minutes with Ms. Suh.  She told me she wished she had known I was in attendance.  She would have spoken English (and she spoke it so well). I was so privileged to meet such a beautiful lady and amazing pianist!

The program!  I especially enjoyed Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 23 op. 57 and his Rage Over a Lost Penny!  The Verdi/Lizst Rigoletto Paraphrase was amazing as well.
______________________________________________________

This week I close with the following passage from Philippians 1: 3-5.  It expresses my heart of gratitude for each of you for all you continue to do to encourage me!  Thank you!!

"Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with us, believing and proclaiming God’s Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears." ....from The Message

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment