Saturday, March 28, 2015

Books, Butterfingers, Brisk Walks, Birthday Bashes, and Baseball!!

What a great week for Spring Break at YISS!  The weather in and around Seoul was really nice and allowed for a lot of walking!  I did a lot of reading, resting, and refreshing!  I was able to meet some wonderful friends to celebrate my birthday!  I experienced some new eating establishments!  It was just a great week!  Monday we begin Quarter Four and finish grades and comments for Quarter Three.  On Tuesday we will have online registration for Quarter Four After School Activities!  If you think of me on Monday evening at around 7:00 (Eastern Standard Time), I would value your prayers that all goes well with the online registration that will be happening at YISS (actually happening 13 hours ahead of you at 8:00 AM on Tuesday).

I continue to enjoy reading!  This past week I completed several books.  I especially enjoyed Mike Lupica's The Only Game and one by Blaine Harden entitled Escape From Camp 14.  I have been interested in reading a number of books on North Korea lately.  Harden's book is the remarkable story of Shin Dong-hyuk, the only known person who was born and raised in one of North Korea's political prison camps and escaped to freedom.  If you would like to learn more about what goes on in North Korea in these camps, how difficult it is to escape and then once one escapes, and how difficult the challenges are to adjust to handling this freedom, I would encourage you to read this book.


Cover of Escape From Camp 14, by Blaine Harden.


A brief paragraph on the back of the book giving you a brief synopsis
of Harden's book.                                     
___________________________________________________________

While finishing Escape from Camp 14 and looking for a version of it written in Korean, I stopped at Butterfingers, a wonderful restaurant in Gangnam that features some very delicious all day breakfasts.  I have been to Butterfingers several times, but never ordered coffee.  Monday I ordered coffee and found a nice little surprise inside the coffee mug!  I thought it was very cool!  Take a look at the coffee mug below:


  Coffee mug at Butterfingers!  I had a yummy platter of blueberry
                            pancakes and sausage + coffee!
 

As I drank my coffee, this is the verse I found on the inside of the mug!!
______________________________________________________

I began my brisk walks for the Spring on Tuesday.  The weather was so nice I changed my route and walked on the lower level of the bridge that crosses the Han River near my apartment.  It goes across the river to a nice park and I enjoyed walking and observing!  So many people out riding bikes, walking, fishing, and even flying some kites!  I walked Tuesday through Friday and am now up to 3.62 miles at a pace of 16 minutes and 16 seconds per mile - according to the Nike app on my phone.



Above are two pictures from my walk along the Han River!  Such a beautiful day!!
________________________________________________

Later on Tuesday, my wonderful friend and former SYME student, Jungmin, took me out for my 66th birthday dinner.  We went to Thai Garden and enjoyed some great conversation and very tasty food.  After dinner we came back to my apartment and Jungmin had some cakes with candles.  The dessert was a great way to end the evening after walking back to the apartment from Thai Garden.


GGG and Jungmin at Thai Garden about ready to enjoy our delicious Thai dinners!


   For my birthday dinner I chose one of my favorite Thai dishes,
               Chicken and Cashew Nuts in Garlic Soy Sauce!!


Jungmin chose the Green Curry and Chicken!  Also quite tasty!    


Back at my apartment, here I am getting ready to blow out my "66" candles!
_________________________________________________________

Wednesday and Thursday I went into YISS for several hours to work on some After School Activities' material and did some more walking.

After my walk on Friday, Jeremy and Krista Roll invited me to go with them for a birthday dessert at a new place called Once Upon a Milkshake.  I had passed this establishment several times but never went in.  We had a delightful time enjoying some very delicious milk shakes and excellent conversation.  Krista is the other Assistant Elementary Principal at YISS and she and Jeremy also attend the same church, New Harvest Ministry, that I attend.


    Krista and her hubby, Jeremy, and GGG with our milk shakes!


Krista and Jeremy in front of the "Once Upon a Milkshake" store!


Enjoying my Tiramisu Milk Shake!!                    
____________________________________________________

Saturday was a busy and fun day to end my week of Spring Break!  I left early in the morning by subway to get to the apartment of a new Korean friend I met back in November at a Thanksgiving feast hosted by some of the parents from YISS.  His name is Jacob Kim and we have been getting to know each other since November.  Jacob and his music group had won Korea's version of "American Idol" about a year ago.  He was encouraged to continue his music career but he believes God wants him to use his abilities in the area of engineering to create ways to provide clean water for areas of the world where people do not have access to clean water.

Jacob also plays baseball on a community league (they are quite the thing in Korea) and invited me to his team's second game on Saturday.  I arrived at his apartment, right next to his church, and then he drove me in his car to the baseball field.  It was so much fun to see the workings of the community league baseball system in South Korea.  Jacob's team is called Yakuhaza and the rough translation to English is "God's children playing baseball."  The team wants to be used to show other teams God's love.  Yakuhaza won a very high scoring game, 19-18!  After the game Jacob wanted to take me out for a birthday lunch at another new restaurant in Itaewon: Yona Yona Burger.  He knows the owner and wanted me to experience their yummy burgers for my birthday.  We had a wonderful time at the baseball game and then at Yona Yona Burger!


Jacob and GGG upon arrival at the baseball field for the Yakuhaza's second game!


This was actually at the close of the game.  Players line up at home
            plate and bow to each other as well as the umpire!


This was my Yona Yona Burger!!  So good with that Smoky Cheese,
bacon, onion, lettuce, and tomato!!                          


GGG and Jacob at Yona Yona Burger!  Jacob chose the Philly Cheese Steak burger!
__________________________________________________

On Saturday evening I had another birthday dinner!  My excellent friend, Yeongnim, took me to another new restaurant for me.  This one is a very nice Korean restaurant near Yongsan called Kiwa. We went here after Yeongmin made me select a birthday gift at one of the many stores in IPark Mall at Yongsan Subway Station.  We had a great time of sharing and eating delicious Korean food.  Keep praying for my dear friend to come to know Jesus.


GGG and Yeongmin at Kiwa preparing to enjoy the first course of
                                        our Korean feast!


After we finished this course, our server brought more Korean taste
treats out for our second course!  It was a great evening!         
_________________________________________________________

Monday will be a busy, busy day at YISS.  Your prayers will be appreciated!  Thanks so much for the many birthday greetings sent my way in various forms.  Thank you so much for your love, prayers, encouragement, cards, notes, and support.  I hope you enjoy a great week leading up to Good Friday and then the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

Love, Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment