Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Week to Really Enjoy the Diversity of Cultures at YISS!!

Yes, the last full week of this school year brought joy to my heart at all of the special events that demonstrated the diversity of cultures we enjoy at YISS!  As I get older, I continue to enjoy people from every corner of the world, and at YISS I have that opportunity every day.  It was especially evident during this last week from the delightful music concert Springing into Song! on Tuesday evening all the way to Saturday morning when the Class of 2014 completed a beautiful commencement.  Throughout the week we enjoyed "End-of-Year" parties, International Dress Day (including some marvelous international cultural performances), the PTO Board Luncheon, the opportunity I have of reading teachers' Quarter 4 comments about their cherubs, and the first day of our three-day VBS in the elementary school!  It was such a busy week, but each evening I went home with joy and gratitude in my heart to God for His creation of people with so many shapes and sizes, so many colors, so many cultural values, so many and varied gifts and abilities, and so many opportunities that each of us on the YISS staff have to live out our faith through the personalities and gifts He has given us in varied forms to be a fragrant offering to Him and to see children and teens from all over the world come to know the One who created them and to grow in their faith!  (Oh dear, that was a rather lengthy sentence. So sorry.)  I am just very excited!

Tuesday evening was our final Elementary Music Concert of the year.  Grades 2 and 3 presented a very delightful concert of vocal music that was fun and uplifting as well as instrumental music with their recorders, xylophones, and drums!  Ms. Shauna Weir does an outstanding job of loving our younger elementary students and shares her passion for music and doing it well with them.  It was a great evening of fun songs and ending with a very fitting piece, Be Like a Tree. It was a great piece to end on and the children loved it and continue to sing it even after the concert is over.  I placed the video clip of it on Facebook if you want to hear it.

    Grades 2 and 3 performing one of their combined selections
                 with recorders, drums, and xylophones!

Just liked this picture as you can see many taking pictures of the cherubs performing!

Grade 2 children singing one of their songs, Waiting 
For the Spring.                        

Another picture of Grades 2 and 3 sharing their talents!!
___________________________________________________________

Wednesday was a very busy day!  As you may remember, the PTO had to cancel the annual International Bazaar on May 10 because of the events in Korea surrounding the sinking of the Sewol Ferry.  It was suggested to have an elementary school event to highlight our international school and keep it within the school so that those who were practicing to perform cultural performances at the Bazaar would have an opportunity to share with the elementary students, staff, and parents.  So the entire day was designated as International Dress Day in the Elementary School with a closing assembly in the auditorium featuring seven cultural performances.  I was asked to the the MC, and I was delighted to do that.  Several parents and staff commented later that I would be a great game show host (something I have always wanted to be)!  I wish you could have stopped by and visited us on Wednesday!  It was a great and fun day!  Again, I posted several video clips from the assembly on Facebook.  Hope you can take a look at them - especially the amazing performance of one of our 4th grade teachers, Ms. Lynn Greaves, and a delightful Kindergarten student, Haven Murphy!  That ballet performance of the song Sovereign brought tears to almost everyone's eyes.  The song expresses that God is in control of our lives and He will always be with us through triumphs and trials!  The Sock Hop Dance group from grades 1 and 2 also brought the house down!

Here I am on International Day with two special buddies, Paolo and Pranav!  They are both having to return to their home countries after the close of this year.  It is so hard to let them go.  They are such great boys!

  Danny and Johnnie, two fourth grade boys with 
             outfits from their home countries. 

Ian is a Pirates' fan and Evan loves the Yankees! 

Ms. Ku, teacher in 1A, posing with some third grade
students in their international outfits!           

Here I am with two fifth grade boys, Andrew and Samuel.  Both boys have grown very attached to me.  Andrew has starting giving me a hug every day and Samuel is new to YISS this year.  He began with a very bad attitude and temper and it has been so thrilling to see his growth.  He loves to talk with me every day.  When we took this picture, he just kept pushing in against me - not wanting to leave.  Please pray for both of these neat young men.

Here is Mr. Adams, 1C teacher, with a few of his
                         charming cherubs!
_______________________________________________________

Wednesday was also the annual PTO Board Luncheon where the new officers are introduced and those officers retiring are recognized.  The various schools within YISS also use this luncheon to express our gratitude for all the PTO does for YISS.  This year Mrs. Birmingham and Ms. Wiley along with a group of high school students put together a massive undertaking to create a video that involved every student in the school creating posters and thank you notes and then putting it to music on a video.  It's hard to explain, but the PTO officers and members loved it.  And there, of course, was yummy food.  I will share some pictures of some of that.  Surprised? :-)

        Thought I would begin with desserts!
                     Soooo yummy!!!!

Fresh fruit and cheese!

Chicken Caesar Salad!!                 

BBQ Pulled Pork!!!

     My plate + cheesecake for dessert!
_____________________________________________________

Throughout the week there were various End-of-Year class parties within the elementary school that room parents and teachers put together.  They are always very nice but I always eat too much. I will share a few pictures of a couple of the parties form last week.

Room parents in 1C put together this mini yearbook
for each student in 1C!  Really quite nice! Given to
         the children at their End-of-Year Party.

Here is a cute 1C cherub showing me the inside of her yearbook.  She was so proud of it!

Some boys gathering around Mr. Adams so that he 
would sign their yearbook!                 

Two angels from 1A holding the portrait that Ms. Lee, our very gifted artist T.A. in Grade 1, painted for each student in 1A and 1B!  Beautiful!  They were presented to the students at their End-of-Year Party!

            Here are portraits of half of 1A's class!

And her is the other half of 1A.  Ms. Lee told me that
it takes her about 2-3 hours of focused painting to paint
one portrait!                          
______________________________________________________


Friday morning was the beginning of our annual three-day VBS in the Elementary School.  Our Elementary Chaplain, Mrs. Carol Franck, puts together an awesome program that includes all sorts of activities, skits, video clips, etc. for all of the students for two hours each day for three days.  I will be sharing more next week. I only have two pictures from Friday since I was Dr. Paws in the opening skit, and will be doing that on Monday and Tuesday as well.  I also was teaching the lesson on the love of God - even when you are left out and alone to one group of about 105 students.

The stage is all set for VBS at YISS!  The children up front are
being recognized for being selected as ones who exemplified
               what is expected of a YISS Guardian.

I thought this picture was better, but it isn't.  I will leave it here  
for you any way.  More pictures coming next week.         
____________________________________________________________

Then Saturday morning at 10 AM the Class of 2014 had its Commencement.  A couple highlights for me were the addresses by three students on our three core values (Truth, Excellence and Diversity) and the Closing Blessing by our Student Council President.  I was impressed with their speeches and how they shared openly and honestly about their faith.  If you can check out Facebook, I would encourage you to check out our Student Council President's Closing Blessing to the 2014 graduates.  Jae Eun Lee did a tremendous job and his Closing Blessing truly was a blessing!

Chairman Park from the Korea Foreign Schools Foundation welcoming graduates, administration, teachers, and parents to the 2014 Commencement with graduates on stage!


The Brovender family - most of them!  Their son,
Tom graduated Saturday (he was back stage).  Dor
is with his Mom and Dad and sister in this picture.
Dor is finishing grade 5 and has grown so much since
coming to YISS in 3rd grade.  Now they must return
              to Israel.  I hate to see them go!


GGG with Joseph Yi, my friend and co-Yankee fan, who will be heading to Florida to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University!

Jae Eun Lee, Student Council President,
and I have become very close this year. He
will be attending Colgate University. It was
a tough decision for him as he also wanted
to go to Wheaton College where he was also
accepted.  He is a great young man and 
would value your prayers.          

James Bai is with me above.  I have known James for the four years I have been at YISS and he has demonstrated great character and faith all the time.  I am so excited for this bright young man with many talents and gifts.  He will be heading to Stanford University and I know he would value your prayers.


My friend, Alex Rios!  He makes me smile all the
time and is quite a good singer.  He will be studying 
at the University of Mary Washington in VA. Thanks
for your prayers for him.

This is Alwarith Alharthy, one of the sons of the Ambassador to South Korea from Oman.  Alwarith has grown so much and continues to ask about my faith in God.  He has not decided where he will study next year, but is thinking of a university in Texas.  Pray that he will come to know Jesus.

This is my friend, Jay Kim.  He has been the senior
who has been our teaching assistant in the elementary
office this year.  He is a great young man and we are
continuing to develop a great relationship.  Jay has to
decide on one of the universities he has been accepted
to real soon. I know he would value your prayers.


Above is a graduate, Andy Halter, who I just really started to get to know this year.  My first year at YISS, we had a little disagreement and I thought he was angry with me.  I continued to talk to him and attend his dramatic performances at YISS.  He is quite gifted as an actor!  This year we started talking much more and below is the letter he brought to me in my office on Thursday.  He will be attending Wagner College.  I am hoping to continue to build our relationship.  Thanks for praying.  He was chosen by his classmates to give the Address on Diversity (one of YISS's core values) at Commencement. He was very articulate and passionate and did a tremendous job!


_______________________________________________________________

OK, I better stop for now.  Thanks for reading and praying.  Thank you so much for your faithful love, prayers, encouragement, and support.  Pray as we finish these last three days with students and then as I get everything ready and packed for a visit to the USA - leaving on June 11.  

Love, Gregg


No comments:

Post a Comment